Total Pageviews

Saturday, July 7, 2012

A return, "The Adventures of Harriet Potter," and a defense of fan-fictions

Well, been a while since I did much of well, anything, here on old Blogger.  I have good reason.  Recently, some friends approached me with a proposition. "How would the Harry Potter series have gone differently had the protagonist been female instead of male?" Being a historian by hobby and most interested in subjects like sociology, this was too tempting a project to take on.  I also started doing more research into it as well, and frankly was rather saddened by what I saw.  The article that struck me the most being "The adventures of Harriet Potter would never have done as well as Harry Potter." This pretty much instantly set off my chauvinism detector and it finally put me completely over the edge to actually sit down and write the reimagined world of Harriet Potter.

So, for most of the past year or so, I have been piecing together just how such things would happen. Fortunately, my friends had already done a great deal of the leg work surrounding characters and even numerous new characters as well. So it is simply my job to create a coherent, enjoyable story out of it all.

I know, it usually goes entirely against my principles as a writer to do these sorts of projects. However, my own brother described it to me in a way that killed off all my scruples. He described to me that what I would be doing would be essentially like being a cover band. You play more or less your own version of other peoples' songs to get noticed for your talents. So essentially... yes, that's what fan-fiction writing is. Unfortunately, not many take it nearly seriously enough for it to be taken very seriously by anyone. Unless you know the right place to look...

And so, I've been primarily working on the site deviantArt.com where I have now posted six new chapters of my newest project "The Adventures of Harriet Potter: Year One." Yes, I picked "The Adventures of Harriet Potter" specifically after reading that article. And so I'd like to ask you all to please, take the time to stop by, have a look and enjoy a magical world through brand new eye all over again with "The Adventures of Harriet Potter: Year One - Chapter 1 - The Violinist"

http://the-mind-of-kleinnak.deviantart.com/gallery/37892096#/d52kjxf

No comments:

Post a Comment